Friday, April 22, 2011

The plumbing works


     After a good night of sleep (and no traipsing across a cold, rainy driveway to use the bathroom), I knew I had to sanitize the tanks.

     I’m glad I waited for daylight.  I opened the drain underneath the tank, opened all the faucets and had one of the kids keep flushing the toilet while I turned on the water pump to drain the chlorinated water.  That filled the gray water tank to 2/3rd full and the black water tank to a third.

Fresh water pond Belmar Colorado     Since I still had to rinse the system, I decided to run only a small amount through the faucets (to make sure no chlorine remained in the pipes) and send the rest through the outside shower and drain.  I also made sure to drain the hot water tank (depressurizing it first) between each session.  The rinse cycle just drained onto the ground aided by the water pump.  Then I refilled the fresh water tank and installed our Pur water filter on the kitchen faucet. 

     All the kids celebrated by drinking a glass of purified water!
     Dewinterizing and sanitizing the system is a straightforward process and very easy for a new RV owner to do.  Though I’m glad I had videos and manuals to guide me.

No comments:

Post a Comment