Friday, April 22, 2011

Dewinterizing the fresh water tank.

      So my husband is preparing for his annual trek to Starfest.  A science fiction and fantasy genre convention geared toward Star Wars, Star Trek and other costuming geeks.  As his first official outing as a professional photographer (meaning small business expenses), we had to set aside the house preparations to get him ready.  I decided the kids would enjoy staying in the camper overnight while he was gone.  Up until then, they had treated the trailer like their personal play house. 

Image result for rv dewinterizing fluid
RV antifreeze for fresh water tanks
     However, I refused to stay in it until we could use the bathroom.  So dewinterizing the trailer became my priority.  Once Bill left in a chaotic flurry, we loaded up and headed to Walmart for a long potable water hose (to be used only for fresh water). 
     A stop at the Hudson library delayed us for a good hour because the LEGO man was there with all his cool Star Wars and other LEGO models.  We still had to get ready for the Homeschooling potluck meeting that night.  So I raced home in a fury (within the driving limit of course) and immediately started watching the videos we’d taken of the salesman explaining the process.  I dug out all the manuals and even looked up information online. I wanted to make sure I knew exactly what I was doing before I started. 

Image result for bleach
     As I glanced at the fresh water tank, I saw a big sticker that said I needed to sanitize the tank.  This added another step in the process.  Every time we put the RV in storage for a long time, bring it home for the first time or every three months, the fresh water tank should be sanitized.  A half cup of household bleach diluted in a gallon of water (never, ever pour it straight into the tank) went into the tank.  I made up two batches of the solution so as to hurry the process along.  It supposed to sit for at least four hours, but I wanted to shorten it. 


     I had my DS turn the water on and began filling the tank.  Then turned on the water pump.  But nothing was happening, so I ran to each valve and made sure it was turned on right (after studying the manual again).  Turns out I didn’t have the right valve opened on the water pump…  Go figure.   Getting the pink antifreeze out of the tanks went fast.  I added another gallon of chlorine solution for good measure and then we jumped in the truck and zoomed off to the meeting (an hour late…).

     We got home too late to empty the tanks, but at least I could flush the toilet! 

No comments:

Post a Comment