Sunday, April 10, 2011

Downsizing


 booksAhh.  The dreaded downsizing has begun.  Since last September, my family has been in getting-ready-to-move mode.  We felt God preparing us for the next stage in our lives.  I’d lived in our house less than a year and had managed to accumulate an incredible amount of stuff. 
                But in his gracious wisdom, God walked me through the journey step by step.  So every day, from September to December, the kids and I would pack a bag for charity or put books in boxes after completing school for the day.  We sold some things and gave other stuff away.  Lots of homeschooling books, curriculum and related materials, that I’d been clinging on to for years, went to someone else.  Where hopefully it got used!

                December rolled around and we were packed, waiting for the signal that God wanted us to move.  Yes, we still owned our house and wasn’t sure how that would be resolved.  But after all, God is God and has his plans.  We said our goodbyes to the homeschooling group, finished Awanas scriptures, and took down pictures. 
I from house to rv                 January melted into February, which drifted into March.  Here we were.  All ready with no place to go.  After months of doubting his direction and questioning our sanity, he stirred us up.  Whispering that all our planning, preparing, packing and purging weren’t in vain, it was time to get the house ready for the market. 
                I am sooo glad I took the time to purge last fall!  It makes the job easier.  I started the process by having the kids help me clean and organize the entire house!  Then, I started in the school room and go through all my books again.  This time with a prejudiced eye toward what was keep-worthy (going into the storage unit) and what could be purged. I culled more homeschooling materials, including some things that could be sold on eBay. 
                The garage was a big, scary place full of packed boxes and unorganized piles.  So that became my first priority.  Because Bill was still fighting sinusitis and the kids were sick, coughing and feverish –it took me awhile to get the job done.  At least a week. 
trash, donate, action items                We decided to keep most of our non-fiction books (all geared toward homesteading) and hand-crank tools.  One day, we’ll own some land and have a farm.  But not today…  I’m taking all the books and stuff to my sister in Indiana, who is getting ready to purchase a farm.  She and I have the same interests and I know she’ll get more use out of my precious books than I will right now. 
                So all the long-term keep boxes go in the basement.  Anything getting sold or donated to charity gets pulled to the garage.  Other things that we think we’ll use are going to the RV, tucked away in a cabinet.  I figure that once we’re moved out completely, I can rearrange and settle in.  But at least it’s safely out of the house. 

No comments:

Post a Comment