Sunday, May 27, 2012

Winterizing

Now that winter is officially upon us, there are certain things one must address while living in an RV.



Unfortunately, our new rig doesn't include a polar package -though it is a tad warmer then the Jayfeather.  And the fresh water tank had mold.

My temporary solution to the water (since we still hadn't properly winterized the hose), was a 7-gallon water tank from Walmart.  I could attach a hose during the day to wash dishes and cook, then drag it inside at night so it didn't freeze.  This worked for a couple weeks.

Then Bill finally had a couple days where he could look at the hose.  Wouldn't you know it -he got it working.  Now I have running water that doesn't freeze at night.

We open the cabinet doors, under the sinks, at night to keep the pipes warm and set the thermostat to 60 degrees.  Since electricity is at a flat rate, we run a ceramic heater in each bedroom, during the night, and in the main room, during the day.

In doing so, we've managed to stretch a thirty pound tank for two weeks instead of three days.

Bill put bubble wrap over the windows in the living room and then covered them with plastic to cut down on the cold.  We still have to insulate the bedrooms and get a skirt attached.  But at least the we stay toasty warm at night and during the day (have to wear socks and a sweatshirt...) and have running water.  Plus space.

I have had visions of warm apartments and second guessed myself.  But apartments are cold- at times- too and twice as expensive.  My trailer sits twenty feet or so from Clear Creek and I am surrounded by mountains.  I can walk to the rec center, along the creek and to the library.  Bill drives fifteen minutes to work, as opposed to one hour. And we love Golden.  The colors.  The ambiance.  The financial freedom in our budget that we haven't seen in over ten years.  And the hope of a debt-free future.

I no longer take running water, warmth and comfort for granted.  I may be inconvenienced at times (having to use a laundromat for the first time ever) and have to deal with nuisances (like less pantry space), but I also have simplified my life. Pared it down to the essentials.  Cut out the extraneous stuff that somehow collected in the corners. 

And know that come spring, the cold will be a distant memory.

No comments:

Post a Comment