Sunday, May 27, 2012

Water Woes

So the one thing I hadn't done yet was connect the fresh water hose to the city water.  Since most of our camping was either boon docking or just shore power, we used the fresh water tank exclusively. 

But now that we were truly settled, I envisioned running water all winter long...  then the first cold spell hit and all my pipes froze up.  Including the fresh water tank.  Dag-nabit.  What is a girl to do?

We filled up all the empty pitchers and water bottles before bed.  One for the toilet and one for cooking the next day.  This was a fine temporary solution.  But I was determined to get my water straight from the tap.

You can't truly appreciate things like running water until there is none...

A quick look around the campground confirmed that at the very least, I would need insulation.  On further research, I discovered heat tape.

I needed a good hose, heat tape, electric tape, pipe insulation, Teflon tape, some new washers (just in case) and some way to keep the spigots on both sides insulated.






First attempt:  I got the heat tape on the hose, duck-taped the heck out of my insulation and then attached the hose.  It occurred to me, half way through my preparations, that I should have op-tested the hose first.



Shrugging my shoulders, I continued to plow through the winterizing part.

Then I did everything I was told to: wrap Teflon tape around the spigots and make sure there is a tight seal.  Some water leaked around the connection to the RV, but I used some fancy tape and figured it would hold.

After a couple days, I noticed water spurting out of a seam half-way down the hose.  Upon further inspection, I noticed that the whole length of insulation was sopping wet.

I unhooked the hose and refilled the fresh water tank.

I tried again.  With new stuff even.

Nothing.

Will try again later...maybe.

Finally figured out the hose situation.  And then broke the check valve (which is the fresh water connection) because of too much pressure.




Replaced it (ordered part from Windish RV), reconnected hose and also added a pressure regulator (extra hose piece that slows the water pressure down from the spigot).  Also had to cut off the end of the hose and replace it with a sturdier brass end.

So after much trial and error (and several weeks later), I finally had a working hose which lasted through freezing nights and snowy days!

No comments:

Post a Comment