Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Indiana bound

Jessica, Liam, Kyla Blackburn



Ok. So my house is completely done.  The truck will tow the trailer without overheating.  I’ve had experience driving (about a half hour).  What else did I need to do?  Oh, yeah.  Organize my trailer. 
Liam Blackburn
After our shakedown cruise, I spent a week reorganizing the trailer.  I examined every cabinet and storage area. No stone left unturned.
It was therapeutic to load all the boxes and bags I’d been collecting in the garage for several months.  To see the RV loaded up and ready to go!
We left Keenesburg early on a Wednesday morning with the intent of taking three short days instead of two long days.
Our first destination was Grand Island, Nebraska, to stop at the home of my beloved grandmother-in-law, Gigi.  She has always been gracious and accommodating whenever we come by.  And to a homesick 20-year-old in Hawaii without a husband, she made my Christmas extra special.
Gigi designed her home using Lego blocks. After traveling to Hong Kong many times, her home took on a distinctly Asian feel with little Buddha’s sitting everywhere and Chinese inspired furniture. 
The kids and I stopped for a bite to eat and a hot soak in her sunken lime-green bathtub. 
Note to self:  Make sure the trailer will clear the large pine tree.  Otherwise, damage…
My first big oops of the trip.  Not checking to see if the pine tree branches were higher than the trailer.  It cracked one side of my awning motor house.  Thankfully, my awning still works. *whew* 
Had planned on stopping at Gigi’s for the night, but felt the urge to keep going.  I know.  It’s crazy.  But with the children sleeping, I can make good time.  We stopped at a Flying J truck stop overnight outside of Omaha.  Nice.
I learned quickly to keep my little rig on the right hand side of the lane, when traveling in the right lane.  Just like the big rigs.  I stayed at 60 MPH, my ultimate comfort speed.  Yes, I was a moving roadblock.  But who cares.  I’m safe.
As the big rigs whipped around me, I learned to anticipate the draft that inevitably followed.  Different shaped trailers produced different gusts.  I practiced courtesy driving and made sure I gassed up in stations that had lots of pull-through room.  There was a couple times I was very tight, but always made it out.
Between Omaha and Des Moines, the wind picked up to 30 MPH.  The only time I really felt nervous was while driving through construction with large rigs passing me and the big gusts of wind blowing at the same time.  But I had the “God Squad” to keep me safe.  God promised to keep angels watching over me.
I averaged 8 miles to the gallon, so gassing up happened often.  We also stopped at rest stops along the way.  I LOVE REST STOPS.  Especially the ones with RV dump stations!
Anyways, we traveled on well into the night.  The only hiccup being a twisted propane hose that prevented the fridge from cooling. 
Every time I stopped for gas or whatever, I always walked around the rig to make sure everything was in place.  Just in case.  Good preventative maintenance…
I did fine until I reached Chicago.  The construction zones late at night and my GPS throwing me off course (I meandered through a ghetto suburb along some train tracks for awhile until getting back on the road…) drained my energy.  I made it to Gary, Indiana, and stopped over at another Flying J.  A friendly (Christian to boot) security guard showed me where to pull the rig. 
What happened to the three short days of driving?  I knew that with our frequent stops, it would be more like four short days of driving.  And since I was in a zone, I kept going. 
The kids were troopers, but oh, so glad to get to Aunty Sarah’s house. 

No comments:

Post a Comment